Sunday, May 15, 2011

Weight loss - making a more healthy choice

My friends and family that live near us here in Southern Utah are all pretty amazed by my weight loss these last eight months.  Starting last October (2010), I decided that it was finally time to start taking my health a little more seriously and I have now lost over 80 lbs.

Here is a "before" photo.  We were out enjoying a little paintball -
So, before I tell you how I did it, I need to make it very clear that not only is weight loss a tough goal, but you have to be ready to make a lifestyle change or the results will never last.  I know quite a few people who have lost 40 pounds or more, only to put it right back on (plus an extra 10 pounds).  If you aren't ready, it simply won't work.  I have dieted other times in my life with limited or short term success.  I am convinced that this time is different because I was ready on the inside (and exercising on the outside).

Before I began my diet, I set a date to begin (about a month away).  It was a way for me to prepare mentally to make some changes.  I kind of had a countdown to the diet.  Another thing I had going for me was that a friend at work was challenging me, even pushing me to make the change.  It was really nice as he had lost and kept off a considerable amount of weight, so I had a great example sitting near me at work.

In October, I started my diet by using an HCG program for the first 40 days.  The HCG was easy to use and it helped me to feel full while eating MUCH smaller portions.  The diet was pretty strict with limited portions and limited selection.  Some days were easy and some were tough.  Overall, this program was essential to me because it got me started and showed me what good things I should eat and that I can live on smaller portions.  After 40 days, I lost about 38 pounds.

Once I was off of the HCG drops, I increased my portions but continued to eat the same types of food.  I added in rice and beans.  I also began eating oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar free syrup for breakfast each morning.  I started parking farther out in the parking lot so I would get a little more exercise each day.  I continued to lose weight.  When I began the diet, I hoped that I would lose 40 pounds.  It was really exciting when I exceeded that goal.  The 70 pound mark was HUGE for me, and I accomplished it by the end of January.  

For some strange reason (I still have no idea why), in February I decided that it would be a good idea to start running.  At this point in my life, I have been into cycling, but had NEVER run back to back miles in my life.  I had a physical / mental block where my body wanted to stop running right at one mile (we always ran for one mile at my high school).  A friend of mine advised me to jog very slowly to start and to increase my time or distance by only 10% a week.  Within a couple weeks, I was running a couple miles three times a week.  It was hard, but it got easier surprisingly fast.  Pretty soon, I was able to get my breathing under control and I am now training to run a 10k (6.3 miles) in about four weeks and a half marathon in the fall. (more on this when I post about running)

Anyway, I am still losing weight but it is coming off very slowly now.  My body wants to be more active and I have even gotten my family to join in on the healthy eating (some of the time).  As a matter of weight maintenance, I allow myself to have some of the things that aren't associated with dieting.  The rule that I am using is that I can have a cookie, not four cookies.  I also don't eat things "just because" any more.  If I'm not hungry, I don't eat -

No comments:

Post a Comment