Sunday, May 15, 2011

Salsa - this recipe is the one!

 This recipe is based on the one that I got from my good friend SJolley.  His Mom makes an amazing version of it but the recipe below has been adjusted to my taste.  Keep in mind that even though I call this "Satan's Salsa" (there are 6 of this and 6 of that making an impressive 6666666), it really isn't that hot.  I would give is a medium to medium hot rating.....  Let me also say that if you are one of those that love the hot sauce at Taco Bell (or even worse - Taco Time), this salsa probably isn't for you.

My kids will go through a jar in a single sitting.  Cameron made this salsa bowl at school, it's perfect for chips and salsa


I usually plant anywhere from 12 to 18 tomato plants in my garden each year so I have plenty of tomatoes for my salsa and my favorite tomato sandwiches (that recipe will come at harvest time).  While I'm here, I want to thank Dan Quale for ensuring that I will never misspell tomato or tomatoes - way to go bud.

Ingredients:

                          6 Qts peeled tomatoes
                          6 Chopped Bell Peppers (assorted colors)
                          6 Chopped Jalapeno Peppers (or 3 jalapeno and 3 habanero)
                          6 Chopped Anaheim Peppers 
                          6 Chopped Onions
                          6 TBLS Garlic Salt
                          6 TBLS Vinegar
                          1/2 Cup Sugar
                          2-8 Ounces Tomato Sauce
                          2 Cans of El Pato Sauce

Peel the tomatoes by dipping them in boiling water until the skin loosens, then dip them in ice water and the skill will fall right off.  I usually throw the tomatoes in the blender an pulse it until you get a chunky consistency.  Seed and dice peppers.  Dice onions.  Combine all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 1-3 hours.  I usually use this time to adjust the consistency - leave the lid off to thicken or put a lid on the pot to retain moisture.

I usually make HUGE batches and bottle it for year-round use.  Process the salsa in a water bath for 35Min, using the usual canning technique.  I like the medium size jars as we almost never have any left over and we get to open a new, fresh jar every time we want salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment