Friday, May 13, 2011

Gardening - Finally spring time!

I am so excited that it is finally time to start putting in a garden here in Utah.  I guess that I got the gardening bug from my Dad, although I didn't care for it nearly as much when I was younger....

We ended up moving last summer so we didn't get to plant a garden and I now have two years of it penned up inside of me.  Prior to the move, we had quite a large garden that did very well.  At the time, we lived on 5.5 acres and we actually had about 1/2 acre or more of garden area.  Some of my favorite veggies include:  green peas, broccoli, tomatoes, leeks, garlic, pumpkin, watermelon, cantaloupe, onion, butternut squash, zucchini, acorn squash, peppers and whatever else the kids feel like growing.

Ever see a happy face on a pepper?


We found this when making salsa a couple of years ago (recipe to follow).  My kids love the salsa so I usually try to make about 40-50 jars to last through the year.

Anyway.  This year we live in town and we got permission to plant in a vacant lot next door.  We also have reserved a 10 x 20 foot garden area in the SUU community garden and we will put in a small garden in our back yard.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment